Friday 29 June 2012

My tiny cowboy!


Today I feel I have acheived awesomeness. Having a baby has re ignited my passion for sewing, it started with embroidery as I made blankets and hats for him before he was born. Lead onto the awesome cross-stitch samplers that were finished after he was born so as not to jinx anything and has now culminated in creating whole outfits for the little blighter!! I touched on costume making for MCM, but to be honest that was just a basic alteration of a baby carrier and shop bought yellow clothes, what you see above is a full on mummy-made cowboy outfit. I didn't make the jeans though, we have so many trousers it would have been a waste to make a pair just for the sake of it. I started with the shirt the other day which, I can very proudly say, only took 3 hours from start to finish. It was so simple I'm going to make him some more shirts for day to day wear as he looks adorable in them! I found a simple pattern online and because he's just a wee babby found a piece of brown gingham check in the remnants box at the fabric store that was big enough to do the whole piece, with some left over. Why do I love the remnants box? Because at 50p a piece it means I can go all out and make a full blown cowboy outfit including cowprint waistcoat (yep, remnants box again :o) ) which took me an impressive half hour just adapting the shirt pattern pieces.
Then came the hat. I am so proud of my hour to make cowboy hat! It has pipecleaners in the brim so it can be bent into a cowboy shape, but because it is all felt it's nice and lightweight, definite bonus with a boy who is not too sure about things on his head. The longest part of it was seam stitching by hand, but I think it's well worth it! When I went to try the whole ensemble on Alfred there was very nearly a drool related incident so, after raiding the stash, he had a red & white fleecey lined dribble bib to save the shirt. Goes quite nicely I think. You can't see them in the picture but there are felt cowboy boots, far from perfect but perfectly cute and adequate for a baby who can't even crawl yet!

This is primarily in aid of a friends 4th of July party, but also largely to satiate my love of costume making. So, if you read this post your review below. I think I've done quite well and armed with a stack of patterns ready to go I think my little 'uns gonna look rocking this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment