Wednesday 3 February 2016

Sayin' what's up to my cup

Eurgh a girlie post. Look away now. I might mention periods or (god forbid) menstrual products. There's no might. I'm gonna, and any distaste for the subject you may feel is exactly why I'm writing it. Stick around, it won't hurt.


When you have a baby, you lose a bit of squeamishness about bodily functions, down there and the unique qualities of womanhood. You soon discover just how many women have exactly the same issues as you every month and there's a cathartic openness whereby you can actually talk periods. Those secret shameful things we try and pretend don't happen even though we know they do. My husband is particularly ignorant of these things. He grew up in an all boy household and despite witnessing menopause live as a kid he never really urgently needed an explanation of how women have to spend a fortune each month to cover up a natural event that no one talks about. I sent him shopping for emergency pads once, I'm genuinely not exaggerating his ignorance. So let's talk periods. Solutions. And why you have no hope in hell that I am sharing those chocolate biscuits.

About a year ago a company I knew through our cloth nappying had a brilliant deal on cloth pads (CSP) and I looked, I pondered, I spent a fortune on disposables and thought "how bad can it be?" and took the plunge. I'd spent two years washing nappies and other generally dirty kid stuff so there was literally nothing to shock me on that side. Chemical free is always a win and not having to dash out and spend a packet each month is also a major plus point. It is the best £30odd quid I've spent in a long time. Just as easy to use, easy to wash/store/change, comfy and nomre allergic reactions. It will take a certain gender specific experience to ruly understand that one. Shark week is lighter, faster, less painful, cheaper and much more environmentally friendly. I'm so happy. Thanks Cheeky Mamas you finally made periods a bit more cheerful. (They didn't pay me to say these things, I am genuinely bowled over by them).

Then we get onto cups. Not the ones in your cupboards, but menstrual cups, little goblets for your cavities. Once again a brilliant price point, a small business, a "how bad can it be?" approach and I was in the world of menstrual cups. (Earthwise girls, Fleurcup, £10)I'll admit right here that once upon a time I said "eww I'd never use one of those things", I'm more open minded now and I'm much better for it. The first thing I spent a lot of time doing was watching youtube to see how to fold the damn thing. I got cross at it, I cursed it, and almost gave up. Then I decided I'd give it one last go, so many people use them sucessfully so I must be doing something wrong. Hurrah for online support groups (great when you have *all* the questions) and a final hurrah for cups. I feel a bit stupid for it taking so long to get over my weird squeamish reservations and just do it. They're just as discreet and user friendly, I have more money each month and I think I understand more about periods than I ever did. It's only taken about 15 years but I finally got there. 


So there's the thing, I can talk about periods, not so ghastly and shining style blood bathy and I can talk about eco friendly methods to manage a period. I'm just hoping it won't be too long before we can raise a generation of girls who aren't ashamed to talk about it or ask questions. It happens, a lot, embrace it, moan about it, swear about it but hey, let's talk about it. You too menfolk, you've probably got a friend/partner/daughter/sister that menstruates, don't you have questions you want to ask? She shouldn't have to hide it away, should she?















No comments:

Post a Comment