Thursday 21 June 2012

The curses of Mother Nature

I have had one sad little man cub today, and thanks to natural instinct I have had no sleep with which to prepare myself for such a day. Last night was a constant chain of intense baby sneezes, not the cute tiny little sneezes but oh dear god has he given himself whiplash sneezes, and tragically sad noises at the obvious distress he was in. The unwelcome arrival of mucus resulted in bouts of snoring / gasping for air, cue mother nature waking me up at every single snort. By morning everyone was exhausted and quite fed up, especially poor Alfred but we motored on and went out regardless. I've been quite lazy in terms of going out this week and as my Mum's off for a couple of days we decided sitting around the house, feeling sorry for ourselves wasn't going to cut it, so we went to Ikea. Normally everywhere we go Alfred goes in his Moby wrap, I'm shamelessly lazy and the wrap makes life a whole lot easier but given the combination of a baby leaking drool from mouth and nose, mass of bug bites on my back and the inevitable items that would need carrying home we decided to take the pushchair. I have learnt that my pushchair, although lovely, is quite large and I perhaps need to care less about others on public transport in order to enjoy my journey more. Alfred fell asleep on the train in his carriage, a bloody miracle on the Metropolitan line!!, and remained asleep most of the travelling. Halfway round Ikea, he seemed to all of a sudden feel himself again and little smiles came back. Whatever ailment he had seems to have passed quite quickly so we're going to brave playgroup tomorrow.

Aside from that this week has been a bit more subdued, foul weather predictions kept us away from going up to London to see Trooping the colour. We stayed at home where it wasn't chilly, windy, over crowded and at high risk of rain and watched it on the TV. Evidently it is a very exciting bit of programming, I ended up having to build a baby nest so Alfred could sit up and watch and I could actually get some stuff done.

Sunday was Alfred's first fathers day, he cheaped out on the present so I had to pitch in, but I think his daddy had a lovely time. Playing with miniature trains and going for a nice walk around a big ol' lake. The in alws attended too which was nice as they got to spend more one-on-one time with him than they did at the christening, we like to keep these things balanced!!

Monday was disastrous, to the point I ended up pitifully standing in the foyer of my Mother's office building one remark away from full blown weeping. Between the car failing is again, getting stranded half a mile out of town, at a swimming pool that was closed so we couldn't swim, with no pushchair or baby carrier, feeling nauseous from too much tea and melting because I had my swimming costume on underneath my street clothes whilst trying to balance screaming baby and swimming bag (with no nappies other than swim ones I might add) it was too much. Luckily Alfred's daddy saved the day, closely aided by a half price steak and chips lunch.

Tuesday we managed our weekly mammoth walk (about 1 1/2 hours long along a canal) with ease, even though we'd walked the long way to and from playgroup at lunchtime. This is quite impressive for me, even moreso that I refrained from rewarding myself with the lovely cake in the kitchen when I got in! Wednesday we had another photoshoot, Alfred was in one of my favourite outfits, that his Great-Granma sent over the states for him. I really hope the pictures turn out okay, but we have to wait until next Tuesday to find out.

So yeah, that was our week, it feels much more exhaustive than it sounds. But we've learnt valuable lesson this week, like any problem can be solved with a panda, a hug and mummy's boobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment