Thursday 2 August 2012

The birth of festival mama

For the last four years I've spent a July weekend in a field in Oxfordshire at Truck Festival , this year was to be no exception, despite our new addition. I think Alfred had more stuff than me and the mister combined but I decided I was taking no chances so took tonnes of clothes, blankets, toys and so so many nappies. Naturally he stayed clean all weekend so half the clothes didn't get used, the whole sha-bang was massively exciting so the toys were unnecessary blankets and nappies definitely got used though!
We left early on the Friday (after Alf's 5 a.m. feed) and he managed to fall asleep within minutes of being put in the car which was nice, just wish I could have switched off as easily ... Got to the in laws at about 7 (nice rush hour dodging by the OH) which gave us enough time for breakfast, rallying the troops and a guilt trip from the mother in law. I appreciate she doesn't see Alfred very much but it's really starting to get to me that I have to endure the "someone-sat-on-my-cute-fluffy-puppy-and-splurted-its-guts-everywhere" look. But anyway, I digress, we were one of the first lots to set up as we arrived at hlaf nine and were designated to the campervan section, which lies just outside the main camping field. This has always worked perfectly for us all,because although we love a festival, a beer or two or three and a late night, we also like to sleep. For this reason we take the trailer tent. I love the trailer tent, wholeheartedly. See below;
So yeah, you lot all enjoy your cold flimsy pop up festival tents and we'll chillax in our double beds with mattresses and eat our mahusive breakfasts made on propers hobs and grills :oD It makes camping with man cub dead easy too. I wasn't drinking this year, not too different from last, haven't really missed it or felt a need for it and quite happily my man cub comes first. OH was, so we took a bed each (we co-sleep with man cub and merry papas don't work well sharing with tiny man cubs). Fully expecting Alfred to mess up we were very tentative with everything but as it turns out he loved it, he adapted well to wearing ear defenders and being around strange smells and people. He slept through Tim Minchin's set quite peacefully! Completely contrary to what we expected, at 8 p.m. he just fell asleep in the sling and when I took him back to the tent at 11 he didn't even wake up as I got him changed and cosied up for bed. Friday night was COLD. I had visions of my MIL up panicking about the baby, who by the way was so toasty. Admittedly in the morning he needed some clever unwrapping from all of the blankets but this clever mama kept him at the right temperature all night :oD Of which I am quite proud! And thank you cloth nappies for no elaks on the trailer tent mattress!

Saturday was lovely and chilled out, being the responsible parents that we are, Alfred started the chilly morning in a nice cosy pram suit ...
I hadn't anticipated quite how much attention a 4 month old in a Tigger suit sttracts, apparently he was quite adorable. Saturday was a scorcher, all that surprise sunshine hit us like a brick between the eyes! Alfred napped under a muslin most of the day (highly effective sunscreen in combination with shade and hat) and as such was the only non burnt group member by the end of it all! He loved the music, and the balloon we acquired and all the people. Me, I love being able to lie down and breastfeed in public, theres certain freedoms being a field offers. Once again bedtime was a dream, I stayed long enough to British Sea Power then took a very sleepy man cub to bed. Despite the fact that we were in a tent he slept throuh till 7.30!! Turns out those blackout things would have a waste of money.

Overall we had a fantastic time, Tim Minchin was my favourite but also really enjoyed Gabriel Minnikin, Federation of the Disco Pimp, Clock Opera and the Villagers. Saturday highlights were Yellow Fever, Black Hats, The Low Anthem and of course British Sea Power. It was so easy to enjoy it with a little man cub and we're 100% back next year. Thank you Truck Festival!



No comments:

Post a Comment